Oct. 15th to 20th 2017 | Nov. 12th to 17th 2017
If you love yoga and riding through beautiful scenery, galloping along deserted sandy beaches and exploring miles of sweet smelling pine forest, then we have just the holiday for you.
Our Horse Riding & Yoga Retreat includes daily Pranayama classes, Ashtanga classes in the morning, horse riding trips exploring the nearby beaches, the outskirts of the La Breña y Las Marismas del Barbate Natural Park and the beautiful countryside around Zahora, restorative yin yoga classes in the early evening, evening workshops and three delicious vegetarian meals per day.
Ride our exceptional Spanish and Hispano-Árabe horses through the most breathtaking and varied countryside that Zahora has to offer.
Horses are grounded and centred by nature. Horses will help you to focus on the here and now. They help you develop inner strength and authenticity and show you the importance of your intentions. Yoga and meditation with horses shows how important the connection is with yourself and your environment to achieve your goals. You will use respectful, non-verbal communication to create cooperation and work together as one.
You will also develop your inner attitude, inner silence, relaxation, grounding, balance, breathing techniques and body posture, building up your confidence, non-verbal communication, tenderness and clarity.
A small riding group (never more than six riders) will be accompanied at all times by two of our experienced guides.
Each day after our delicious organic breakfast or lunch, depending on the weather conditions, our guests will saddle up at our nearby stables.
You will ride out for approximately three hours with usually two and a half hours in the saddle. Each ride is varied and different. We do not set a strict daily itinerary because we like to choose the right ride for the right day.
- The Beach Rides, we will ride along the edge of the forest down onto the long sandy beaches of Cape Trafalgar and El Palmar. These beaches stretch for 10km, giving plenty of room to get to know your horse and let him show you what he can really do. The sightseeing is spectacular and the colourful sunsets are among the best of the whole coast. For those of you who have already ridden on a beach we need not say no more. For those that have not, then prepare to make your dreams come true.
- Forest Rides, the stables sit on the edge of the spectacular natural park of La Breña y Las Marismas del Barbate Natural Park, consisting of pine forest, salt marshes, steep cliffs and miles of sandy beach. La Breña y Marismas del Barbate Natural Park is the second largest coastal reserve in Andalusia and is considered one of the most diverse and best-preserved parts of the Andalusian coast.
- Countryside Rides, the rolling hills of the countryside riders offer fantastic views as we ride over ancient drovers’ roads and cattle tracks. We will ride to the hermitage of San Ambrosio, which dates back to Roman times. We will also visit the El Palomar de la Brena, the biggest dovecote in the world.
Sample daily Schedule (Monday to Thrusday)
- Pranayama class, 15 minutes.
- Ashtanga Yoga, 75 to 90 minutes
- Vegetarian breakfast
- Walking tours in the beautiful setting of Zahora (3 days, 60 to 90 minutes)
- Vegetarian lunch
- Horse riding (2 1/2 to 3 hours in the saddle)
- Yin Yoga, 60 minutes
- Vegetarian dinner
- Workshops or satsang. Subject will be chosen upon demand at check-in (3 days, 60 minutes)
- Joyful silence
Sample Friday Schedule
- Pranayama class, 15 minutes.
- Ashtanga Yoga, 75 to 90 minutes
- Vegetarian Breakfast
Please be advised that this sample schedule is subject to change.
Our riding team
Our team are all passionate horse lovers with many years of experience of owning, riding and training horses. Being from this part of Spain, we know the local countryside very well, with all the folklore and traditions of Andalusia, a place full of the living heritage of the Spanish horse. We will do our utmost to give you a holiday that you will always remember with special affection.
We have 10 horses, who are all very fit, healthy, very well cared for and well schooled. Each horse has a different personality and we will always try to match each rider with the right horse. Our horses are 150cm/59inches tall and will carry you with confidence and sure-footedness through the undulating Andalusian terrain.
Do you need to bring a riding hat?
We strongly recommend that you do; however helmets are provided.
You can ride without a helmet but your insurance must clearly state that you are covered to do so.
Do we have limits on age?
Wedo not have an upper age limit, as long as you are fit and healthy and can ride for 2 ½ hours a day. Unfortunately we do not have horses for children. We can take teenagers if they know how to ride.
What level of rider should you be?
Our rides are for intermediate riders. You should be comfortable at walking in open spaces for 2 ½ hours a day.
The horses are 150cm/59inches tall and riders need to weigh less than 90 kilos/198 pounds
What do you need to bring with you?
We recommend you wear riding breeches and boots on your riding holiday.
What is included:
- A welcome drink with a delicious basket of ecological fruits on Sunday
- 3 daily vegetarian meals with appetizers (breakfast, lunch, dinner) from Monday to Thrusday and breakfast on Friday
- Healthy snacks, fresh fruit, mineral water and infusions are available all day long
- 9 Yoga classes (five Ashtanga/Hatha Yoga classes of 75 to 90 minutes and four Yin Yoga classes of 60 minutes)
- 4 Horse Riding trips, (2 1/2 to 3 hours in the saddle)
- 5 Pranayama classes of 15 minutes
- 3 hikes/walking tours in the beautiful settings of Zahora (60 to 90 minutes).
- 5 nights’ accommodation in fully equipped self-contained cottages with international TV channels, fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee-maker, kettle, toaster, juicer, blender, washing machine, iron, and alarm clock
- All bedding and bath towels
- 3 workshops or satsang. Subject will be chosen upon demand at check-in
- Games night on Monday
- Transfer from and to Conil de la Frontera, Vejer de la Frontera and Barbate on check-in and check-out days
- Trip to one of the beatiful White Towns of Andalusia
- We will do our best to take you to a cultural or folklore show such as flamenco, a Spanish concert or jam session going on nearby
- WiFi is available throughout the property